Friday, January 23, 2009

Welcome to the Barkside!


I just say that I've had itchy paws for some time now, wanting to get a shot at that computer. Problem is, there is so often a human sitting there, and I needed some privacy to ponder what I might say to the masses if given the chance.

So, I'm finally here! I'll start by introducing myself. My formal name is Ode to the Barkside, but my friends call me Odie. I come from conformation bloodlines, so I know all about being pretty (and acting pretty) but that doesn't take away from my other Aussie characteristics, I can still show moments of herdiness, even though I'm getting older and slowing down now.

I'm thinking of retiring from my herding career and becoming a full time writer, which is one of the inspirations for this blog. However I have decided that occasionally I may let one of the other Aussies at Barkside have a bit of computer time, if they behave themselves. I am the wisdom of this operation! The other two are both puppies, under a year old and they can be a bit on the skitzy side, that's my opinion, of course, but I live with the little monsters!

Sydra is the youngest of the two puppies but she came to live here first, after my old Aussie pal Nike died from cancer. Nike is still with us, in my opinion, old dogs never really die, we just change forms and lurk around supervising in spirit instead of in flesh. I hope everyone is clear that the primary responsibility of an Aussie is to supervise. I digress but this isn't a bad segue, Sydra is not a very good supervisor. I wonder if she's really an Aussie. She looks like an Aussie, but she doesn't always act like an Aussie. I've been trying to give her lessons in how to supervise humans but she's not very clever that way. She keeps telling me that she doesn't need to supervise, the house doesn't need more than one supervisor. Too many chefs spoil the broth and all that.

Camden is the middle Aussie by age, but only a few months older than Syd. Cam was dumped at a shelter at a mere 6 months old for "behavioral problems". Well, Cam acts like an Aussie, why would that be a problem???? What leaves me with questions as to Cam's true heritage is that she has a tail. Why would an Aussie need a tail? She wiggles her butt and wags her tail, her butt goes one way, her tail goes the other and if there is anything on the coffee table, it won't be there for long. This tail wagging thing just doesn't seem very sophisticated to me. Who needs to wear their emotions on their butt like that? I guess some dogs do. Anyway, Cam is learning a lot here, Syd has taken it as her personal responsibility to help Cam find her Inner Puppy, which apparently was misplaced at the shelter or during her beginning months as a "yard dog" whatever that is. I'm astounded to hear that some dogs live IN THE YARD. Where do they sleep??? I have nothing against the odd nap in the grass on a nice cool spring day, but let's get real, it shouldn't be a full time occupation!
At any rate, Cam is coming out of her shell. Most folks probably don't realize that Aussies can have a shell! But the softer ones, like Cam, can be deeply effected by things like living in a crowded shelter where some dogs enter and never leave. Anyway, Cam has discovered the joys of Frisbee, although she has not discovered that she should return the Frisbee to the human in order to keep the game in play. What seems obvious to me does not, apparently seem obvious to her. Syd and I understand this (is Cam really an Aussie? With that tail, I am suspect, perhaps she's really a blue merle Border Collie instead?) and have taken it upon ourselves to pick up those darn dropped Frisbees and return them. Syd is a natural when it comes to carrying things around, so this was an easy trick to teach her.

That's probably enough of the introductions for now. More to follow! I hope to get to know you all in the near future. Feel free to email me, my email address is Odie@DancesWithHooves.net.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Odie, Nice to meet you all the way 'down' there in Oz. We are a family, Mum Dad and me son Jock living with Granny and three cats over in the UK.
    I don't mind my mum Molly but my dad Robbie is a real pain, he thinks he should be still top dog, but I know better and act accordingly. The cats are OK I guess, but they get on my nerves with all that purring and rubbing against me. Yuk!
    Bye then
    Jock

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you, Jock! I had a cat too, but he was very elderly and not a lot of fun. I lost him to old age this past summer. )-: Anyway, he wasn't nearly as much fun as he could have been. I used to try to get him to run so I could chase him and he just stared at me. Cats are very hard to train, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Odie -- its nice to meet you! My name is Georgie, and I probably will remind you of Cam, because I have a long tail, and I was also dumped at the shelter. My humans think I have some issues from this, and maybe I do. I don't know, but I don't like most people that come in my yard and want to chase them off and bite at their legs. Even though I've lived here for almost 5 years, I still get scared and run and hide if somebody drops something on the floor and its loud.

    I live with some other dogs and cats, too. But they mostly get on my nerves. I kinda am a loner, and a little crotchety and set in my ways. But that's OK, there's lots of food here, and love, and they don't make me do things that make me scared. So that's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Odie !
    My name is Arthur, I am a lot bigger than an Aussie and probably almost as smarter as an Aussie ;o)
    If you thing I have a funny accent, it is because I speak mostly French...
    I'm getting old too (I am a 1998 vintage, a good year) and I have traveled with my parents from French West Indies. Now, I'm living in Quebec (weather here is a lot more comfortable for a Leonberg cross) with tons of other 4-legged, even cats !
    My 2-legged are almost perfectly trained (I think I did a good job with them): at first, they did not want to let me in the house, after some years (humans are hard to train, sometimes), I was able to sleep in the office, etc. Now, I have TWO beds, all mine: one in the living-room and one up-stairs, on the mezzanine, where I can check and supervised all what is happening in the house; a really good spot !
    Bark more later, my friend !
    Arthur, the King.

    ReplyDelete